A new and deadly Coronavirus (COVID-19) has caused an outbreak of respiratory illness and lung disease. It was detected for the first time in the people of China who were selling seafood and animals’ meat and has now become an epidemic across the globe. It has been recorded that awareness about the symptoms of COVID-19 such as frequent cough or sneezing, flu-like feeling, or shortness of breath, without panicking, can help in taking timely action and precautionary measures that reduce the risk of illness.
Health risk from the COVID-19 in India remains low at this time; however, we at Gurukul World School, best school in Mohali suggest preparing for the possible spread of the virus by chalking out appropriate plans and precautionary steps.
Let’s look at the guidelines that help in educating children about COVID-19:
1. It is crucial to remain calm and allay your children’s concerns and feelings. Children follow both verbal and non-verbal reactions of adults and parents, including what you say and do to keep safe and healthy.
2. If an outbreak in your community is imminent, emphasize to your children that everything is going to be okay. Children might get anxious and need extra attention to their fears and questions, so make sure that you make yourself available and give them plenty of affection.
3. When the pressure or tensions are high, we tend to blame someone. It is vital to avoid stereotyping, bullying, or making negative comments about particular people or communities. As a parent, you need to educate your kids that what comments mean if they are wrong or different from the values that you believe in.
4. Encourage children to adopt healthy lifestyle practices and take simple steps to prevent the spread of an illness such as:
• Washing hands multiple times a day
• Covering their mouths with a tissue while sneezing or coughing and throwing off the tissue immediately.
• Eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly to boost a strong immune system to fight off illness.
5. Do not insist your children to maintain perfect attendance record, let your school know if your child is sick and keep them home. It is best to discuss new rules and communicate with your school about the latest health practices.
Gurukul World School, the best CBSE school in Mohali, makes sure to provide the right facts to educate parents and students and recommend them the necessary protective measures to live a healthy and hygienic life.